When I was a kid, my friends and I used to like to dress up as a group for Halloween. We’d pick a theme such as a favorite cartoon or movie, and then pick characters from it that we would all dress up as and go out trick-or-treating — as a group.
These days, lots of adults have fun dressing up as group for Halloween, or as a couple.
If you’ll be going to a Halloween party (or two), then you’ll probably want to dress up. Finding some unique and interesting group Halloween costumes is one way to make the evening even more exciting for you and your friends.
Following are some amazing ideas for one-of-a-kind group Halloween costumes for adults and kids that you can buy (if it’s last-minute)… or make yourself (if you have a little bit of time)!
Pirates of the Caribbean is a great group costume idea. Pirates can be particularly fun and give you the opportunity to break out all those funky scarves you’ve got buried in your sock drawer. The cool thing about dressing up as a pirate is nearly everyone has scarves, and gold loop earrings, and a pair of black boots. And whatever you’re missing, there are lots of unique pirate accessories online. This is one of the easier costumes to put together quickly.
DIY Group Pirate Costume Ideas:
- Make Your Own Pirate Costume — everything you need from head to toe.
- Coolest DIY Pirate Costumes — see how to make them all yourself.
- How To Make An Adult Male Pirate Costume — instructions for making costumes for the guys in your group.
- DIY Pirate Costume Ideas — homemade tips from a group of adults.
This has to be my all-time favorite when it comes to group costumes. Check out this DIY Pac Man costume video and you’ll see why.
DIY Pacman Group Costume Ideas:
- Homemade PacMan Group Costume Ideas
- Make A Pacman & Ghosts Group Costume
- Homemade Pac Man Costume Ideas
- How To Make A Pacman & Ghosts Costume
- Advanced Level Pac Man Costume Instructions
- Homemade Group PacMan Costume
- How To Make A Pacman Arcade Game Costume (here’s how to make the frame)
There are tons of superhero Halloween costumes available. What makes this idea so fun is that if your group includes kids, there are plenty of superhero costumes available for them as well. So if you are going as a family, this can be a really great group Halloween costume idea! This year’s top superhero costumes are sure to be: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Speed Racer, the Incredibles, and The Joker from Batman.
DIY Superhero Group Costume Ideas:
- How To Create A Superhero
- Make Your Own Superhero Costumes
- Create Your Own Superhero From Scratch
- DIY Superhero Costume Ideas
- Make The Incredibles Costumes For Your Entire Family
Okay, granted this one is more geared towards the kids rather than adults, but I have seen adults dressed as Barbie as well. The really exciting thing about dressing up like Barbie and friends is that with all the fantasy themed Barbies out there now (such as Mariposa Barbie, and the Barbies from Mermaidia who are of course mermaids), there are several different costume choices available to you.
DIY Barbie Costume Ideas:
- Cool Barbie & Ken Costume Ideas
- How To Make A Barbie In A Box Costume
- Make A Dead Barbie Costume For Halloween
- DIY Barbie Costume Ideas
- Basic Tips For Making A Barbie Doll Costume
- Homemade Barbie & Ken Costume Ideas
Another fun group Halloween costume idea for children and adults alike is to dress up like a crayon, or a box of crayons. I’ve seen this one done on more than one occasion — usually by adults, but occasionally by children and families. I can see where dressing up like a box of crayons would be great for a large family or group.
DIY Crayon Costume Ideas:
- Coolest Homemade Crayon Costume Ideas
- Make A Crayon Costume Using A Sweatsuit
- DIY Crayola Costume Ideas
- How To Make Crayon Costumes Out Of Dresses
- Crayola Crayon Costume Template
- How To Make A Child’s Crayon Halloween Costume
- Video Instructions For Making A Crayon Costume
This can be a truly exciting group Halloween costume choice since the gals can dress as either female gangsters or flappers. Another nice thing about 1920’s gangster costumes is you can either rent, buy, or make your costume quite inexpensively.
DIY Gangster Costume Ideas:
- How To Dress Up Like A Gangster
- Coolest Homemade Gangster Costume Ideas
- Make Your Own Flapper Costume
- 1920’s Fashion Ideas
- DIY Gangster Halloween Costume Ideas
- Items Needed For Gangster Costumes
- How To Host A Roaring 20’s Party
This one can encompass a lot of different ideas,
but most people choose characters from the popular Disney animated movies such as the Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Toy Story or the Lion King — to name a few.
DIY Disney Character Costume Ideas:
- Coolest Homemade Disney Costume Ideas
- 50 DIY Disney Costumes
- How To Make A Fairy Godmother Costume
- 9 Disney Inspired Costumes & Accessories
- Couples Disney Costumes
- 10 Disney Costumes Sitting In Your Closet
This is a great group Halloween costume idea because there are so many different characters besides the main 3: Harry, Hermione, and Ron. Thinking along these same lines, a creative group could choose any favorite movie and then either make (my favorite) or purchase costumes featuring characters from that movie.
DIY Harry Potter Costume Ideas:
- How To Make A Magical Wizard’s Hat And Wand
- Fun Harry Potter Accessories
- DIY Hermione Granger & Harry Potter Costumes
- Coolest Homemade Harry Potter Costume Ideas
- How To Make A Harry Potter Costume
- Make A Professor McGonagall Costume
- How To Make A Hermione Granger Costume
- Create Your Own Harry Potter Costume
A Coneheads group costume is another one of my personal favorites. If you haven’t seen the Coneheads movie, just one viewing should give you lots of ideas for how to dress up like a Conehead. Of course, there are also all the old Saturday Night Live skits as well — which is where the idea for the movie originally came from. The best part is that Conehead costumes are also relatively easy to make. Along these same lines, don’t overlook The Simpsons… all you need is a bald head painted yellow and some Simpson eyeballs!
DIY Coneheads Or Simpsons Costume Ideas:
- How To Make A Bart Simpson Costume
- Make A Conehead Halloween Costume
- Coolest Homemade Simpsons Costume Ideas
- Marge Simpson Costume Tips
- How To Make A Lisa Simpson Halloween Costume
- Maggie Simpson Costume Ideas
Wizard of Oz costumes are a classic family favorite. There are options for both children and adults. And, like most costumes, you can buy the costume itself, or make your own. There are plenty of Wizard of Oz accessories available online!
DIY Wizard Of Oz Costume Ideas:
- How To Make A Scarecrow Costume
- Coolest Homemade Wizard Of Oz Couples & Group Costume Ideas
- Tips For Dressing Up Like Dorothy From The Wizard of Oz
- Make A Scary Witch Costume
- Everything You Need For A Tin Man Costume
- How To Make A Dorothy Wizard Of Oz Costume
- Make A Costume Like Toto The Wizard Of Oz Dog
- Step-By-Step Instructions For The Cowardly Lion Costume
- How To Make A Wizard of Oz House Costume
Even More Group Halloween Costume Ideas
If none of the above ideas strikes your fancy, you’re sure to find lots more here. Following are the best places to find group Halloween costume ideas… there are literally hundreds!: