We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Don’t do what everyone else is doing for Halloween this year.
Instead, try to get a little bit creative and come up with a fun Halloween costume yourself.
The following video provides some great tips for creating your own one-of-a-kind Halloween costume.
Some highlights from the video:
- Play on words. A clever or trendy term or phrase could inspire a really unique Halloween costume. For example, explore the banished words for the year (likesexting or tweet), or the newest additions to the dictionary (like bromance or tramp stamp).
- Pull from current events. Use celebrity gossip, celebrity blogs, news sites, movies and other cultural happenings as your inspiration to create a Halloween costume based on someone famous who’s in the news.
- Think outside the box. Try to come up with a creative Halloween costume that personifies non-human things or events (like weather, signs, trends, etc.) or an abstract feeling or emotion (like happy, bankrupt, hungry, etc.)
- Consider a group costume instead. A group costume can save you and your friends a bunch time and money — because what works for one will work for all!
- Turn the act of coming up with a unique Halloween costume into a game. Even if you don’t get other friends involved, this can be a fun way to quickly put together the best Halloween costume from the resources that are immediately available to you. Just turn it into a challenge!
- Simplicity is king. There’s no need to brainstorm for days over a Halloween costume, when you could simply dress the part of a hobby or activity that you already do on a regular basis (like golfing, crafting, bike riding, or weightlifting).
And now, for the visuals associated with each of these ideas, check out the video:
If there is ONE thing I like… it's C H A N G E! The four seasons and major holidays are my favorite times of the year to recharge — and redecorate. I mostly like to share frugal DIY ideas for seasonal home decorating and party planning (for both, indoors and outside). Because who doesn't enjoy entertaining at home?! But even if you don't host many parties, I think you'll appreciate my DIY hacks and clever ways to decorate your house for the major holidays including Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Because those are the times when people tend to have the most visitors and overnight houseguests.